Skip to content
Metro Sun Daily

Metro Sun Daily

REAL NEWS * REAL TIME

  • Home
  • Nation
  • Metro
  • Regions
  • Global
  • Feature
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • Sports
  • OFW
  • VP Sara Impeachment
  • Nation

Romualdez questions Ombudsman’s use of witnesses facing cyberlibel, perjury cases

Metrosundaily July 31, 2026

LEYTE Rep. Ferdinand Martin G. Romualdez.

FORMER Speaker Ferdinand Martin G. Romualdez on Friday questioned the Office of the Ombudsman’s continued reliance on witnesses whom, he said, had already been publicly discredited and are now facing cyberlibel and perjury charges.

In a statement, Romualdez said he was asking only for equal treatment under the law as the preliminary investigation into the flood control controversy continues.

“Pantay na hustisya lamang ang hinihingi ko,” Romualdez said.

He criticized what he described as the Ombudsman’s use of witnesses whom “he himself and now the Department of Justice (DOJ) have already publicly discredited.”

Romualdez also pointed out that the same individuals are now facing cyberlibel and perjury complaints.

“But the Ombudsman is using witnesses he himself and now the DOJ has already publicly discredited—and who are now facing cyberlibel and perjury charges,” he said.

Questioning the fairness of the investigation, Romualdez asked: “Ito ba ang patas na imbestigasyon?”

He added that the witnesses had already been rejected and later charged, yet were still being used against him.

“Mga testigong ibinasura na, kinasuhan pa ng cyberlibel at perjury — gagamitin pa rin para lang ituro ako at ako lamang,” he said.

Despite his objections, Romualdez said he would continue to face the proceedings.

“Hindi ako uurong sa laban na ito. Hindi ako matitinag. Gawin natin ang tama,” he said.

The Department of Justice (DOJ) on Wednesday said criminal complaints for perjury and cyber libel against the 18 former bodyguards of fugitive former lawmaker Zaldy Co and their lawyer have been filed in four Regional Trial Courts (RTCs) in Metro Manila.

DOJ spokesperson Polo Martinez said all Informations were filed on Tuesday before the RTCs of the cities of Caloocan, Las Piñas, Muntinlupa, and San Juan.

The cases arose from several complaints involving the execution and dissemination of a joint sworn statement, related press conferences and interviews, social media posts and other online publications.

The so-called 18 “maleta boys” were charged in 10 separate Informations for six counts of cyber libel under Section 4(c)(4) of Republic Act (RA) 10175, otherwise known as the Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012, and four counts of perjury.

Lawyer Levito Baligod is charged as a co-accused with the so-called “18 maleta boys” in certain Informations.

metrosundaily
Tags: martin romualdez ombudsman

Post navigation

Previous Sandigan grants bail to Bong Revilla in P92.8M flood control malversation case
Next System loss charge removal not a shortcut to lower bills — former solon

Related Stories

Former speaker Romualdez to submit affidavits of 25 ex-Co aides
  • Nation

Former speaker Romualdez to submit affidavits of 25 ex-Co aides

Guteza retracts cash delivery allegations against Romualdez
  • Nation

Guteza retracts cash delivery allegations against Romualdez

Malacanang orders alternative work, learning setup Thursday amid Habagat rains
  • Nation

Malacanang orders alternative work, learning setup Thursday amid Habagat rains

ODDNEWS

  • Man arrested for faking lotto ticket to claim ₱172M jackpot
  • General in Hot Water: Napolcom cites P70k shoes as grounds for charges
  • Christmas Tragedy: Italian man chokes to death on panettone during family reunion
  • Japanese Woman Weds AI: The future of relationships?
  • A Single Dad’s Desperate Act: Police Chief’s Kindness Saves the Day
  • Security guard returns lost P1.5M bracelet

Source: USD/PHP @ Fri, 21 Aug.

Weather

Manila
Current weather
-º
Sunrise-
Sunset-
-
-
Forecast
Rain chance-
-
-
Forecast
Rain chance-
-
-
Forecast
Rain chance-
Manila weather

Latest Comments

  1. Obet on House prosec Ridon brings maleta with mangoes, wigs: Not all luggage contains cash
  2. Obet on Tulfo threatens arrest vs senators holding unauthorized Blue Ribbon hearings

  • Front Page
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Donation
  • Facebook
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Instagram
©2026 MetroSunDaily. All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.