OUT of delicadeza, Las Piñas Rep. Mark Anthony Santos today called on Sen. Mark Villar to withdraw as a member of the Senate bicameral conference committee for the deliberation of the proposed 2026 national budget.
Santos emphasized that the request is intended to uphold the principles of transparency and impartiality in the budget deliberation process, following Villar’s implication in alleged irregularities linked to flood-control projects.
“This is a step to ensure that our legislative proceedings remain credible and free from any perceived conflict of interest. Public trust in the Senate and its bicameral conference must be maintained,” Rep. Santos said.
He added that the move is a voluntary act reflecting ethical responsibility and the tradition of delicadeza in public service, rather than a legal obligation.
Senator Villar, along with his younger sister, Senator Camille Villar, currently serve as members of the Senate bicam, chaired by Senator Win Gatchalian of the Finance Committee. Other members include Senators Pia Cayetano, JV Ejercito, Loren Legarda, Kiko Pangilinan, and Erwin Tulfo.
The bicam aims to complete deliberations early next week to give the President time to review and approve the final version of the 2026 General Appropriations Bill before yearend.
Last week, the Independent Commission for Infrastructure (ICI) endorsed to the Office of the Ombudsman the further investigation of alleged anomalies involving several lawmakers and former officials, including former Senator Ramon Revilla Jr.
The ICI referral also called for deeper scrutiny of Senators Mark Villar, Francis Escudero, former Senators Grace Poe and Nancy Binay, and Carlo Aguilar, citing sworn statements by former DPWH Undersecretary Roberto Bernardo.
ICI Chairman Justice Andres Reyes Jr. said potential charges under evaluation include direct or indirect bribery, corruption of public officials, plunder, and various administrative violations.
Villar’s relative implicated in alleged multi-billion-peso irregularities in flood-control projects has reportedly left the Philippines amid intensifying corruption claims.
Contractor Carlo Aguilar, a cousin of Villar, departed for Tokyo, Japan on November 19 — just five days after Bernardo testified before the Senate regarding the alleged commission scheme involving senior Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) officials.
