Skip to content
Metro Sun Daily

Metro Sun Daily

REAL NEWS * REAL TIME

  • Home
  • Nation
  • Metro
  • Regions
  • Global
  • Feature
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • Sports
  • OFW
  • VP Sara Impeachment
  • Nation

Bonoan files counter-affidavit, plans US trip amid plunder complaint

admin February 16, 2026

Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Secretary Manuel Bonoan,

FORMER Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Secretary Manuel Bonoan submitted his counter-affidavit to the Department of Justice (DOJ) on Monday, addressing the plunder complaint filed against him.

“We submitted a counter-affidavit,” Bonoan confirmed to reporters in a brief interview after the submission.

The complaint, which also names Senator Jinggoy Ejercito Estrada, former DPWH Undersecretaries Maria Catalina Cabral and Roberto Bernardo, former DPWH Regional Director Gerard Opulencia, and former District Engineer Henry Alcantara, alleges the acquisition of ill-gotten wealth exceeding P50 million through a series of transactions. DOJ spokesperson Atty. Polo Martinez clarified that the complaint encompasses multiple projects and localities.

Adding a layer of complexity to the situation, Bonoan affirmed his intention to travel to the United States, though he stated that his departure date is yet to be determined. “Ayan nakapag paalam na (I already asked),” he said, indicating he had sought permission to leave the country. When asked if the Justice Department had agreed to his travel plans, Bonoan responded affirmatively with a nod.

This development comes despite an existing Immigration Lookout Bulletin Order issued against the former DPWH head. Bonoan previously traveled to the United States via Taiwan in November 2025, returning to the Philippines on January 18, 2026. The trip was to accompany his wife for a medical procedure. He has consistently denied allegations of receiving over P2 billion in kickbacks from government projects.

Lingering Questions

During the last preliminary investigation, Bonoan mentioned that he was awaiting the schedule for his wife’s operation. His planned departure raises questions about the timing and potential impact on the ongoing investigation.

The DOJ has yet to release an official statement regarding Bonoan’s travel request and its potential implications for the case. The investigation remains ongoing, and all parties are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Tags: bonoan

Post navigation

Previous Eala gets past injured rival to advance in second round of Dubai Open
Next Dy leads House in final tribute to unmatched five-term speaker De Venecia

Related Stories

NBI says helping Bato evade arrest may lead to criminal charges
  • Nation

NBI says helping Bato evade arrest may lead to criminal charges

NBI says dragnet tightens around Bato, warns law ‘will catch up’
  • Nation

NBI says dragnet tightens around Bato, warns law ‘will catch up’

Marcoleta faces recommended plunder, bribery charges over ₱75M donations
  • Nation

Marcoleta faces recommended plunder, bribery charges over ₱75M donations

ODDNEWS

  • Man arrested for faking lotto ticket to claim ₱172M jackpot
  • General in Hot Water: Napolcom cites P70k shoes as grounds for charges
  • Christmas Tragedy: Italian man chokes to death on panettone during family reunion
  • Japanese Woman Weds AI: The future of relationships?
  • A Single Dad’s Desperate Act: Police Chief’s Kindness Saves the Day
  • Security guard returns lost P1.5M bracelet

Source: USD/PHP @ Sat, 23 May.

Weather

Manila
Current weather
-º
Sunrise-
Sunset-
-
-
Forecast
Rain chance-
-
-
Forecast
Rain chance-
-
-
Forecast
Rain chance-
Manila weather

Latest Comments

  1. 스포츠중계 on Wage hikes effective in Northern Mindanao, Caraga this Labor Day
  2. 실시간스포츠중계 on Wage hikes effective in Northern Mindanao, Caraga this Labor Day

  • Front Page
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Donation
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
©2026 MetroSunDaily. All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.