Skip to content
Metro Sun Daily

Metro Sun Daily

REAL NEWS * REAL TIME

  • Home
  • Nation
  • Metro
  • Regions
  • Global
  • Feature
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • Sports
  • OFW
  • VP Sara Impeachment
  • Metro

Jay Sonza arrested by NBI over cyberlibel charges linked to alleged fake news on PBBM

admin May 1, 2026

BROADCASTER and political commentator Jay Sonza was taken into custody by agents of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) on Thursday night in Project 8, Quezon City.

The arrest follows the issuance of a warrant by a Regional Trial Court in Pasay City in connection with a cyberlibel case filed against him, marking a significant development in legal actions involving the spread of information online. The operation was confirmed by NBI Director Melvin Matibag, who stated that the arrest was carried out shortly after the court order was released earlier the same day.

According to Matibag, the case stems from allegations that Sonza disseminated false or misleading information concerning President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. “We arrested Jay Sonza who was issued an arrest warrant by the Regional Trial Court of Pasay City earlier this afternoon,” the NBI chief announced.

He further explained that the charges are related to violations of cyberlaws, specifically involving the publication and circulation of content deemed to be fabricated or untrue. “This relates to his case of violating our cyberlaw regarding the spread of fake news about our President, the posting of various fake news,” Matibag added, emphasizing that such actions are taken seriously and carry legal consequences.

Matibag also clarified that the offense is classified as non-bailable, meaning Sonza will remain in detention while the case moves through the judicial process. “This is also a warning to those who are spreading fake news, that we in the NBI will run after them. This case has no bail recommended and this will be processed, and we will bring him to the court that issued the warrant of arrest against him,” he said. The statement serves as a reminder from the agency that it will pursue legal remedies against individuals found to be violating laws governing digital content and responsible communication.

For his part, Sonza expressed surprise over the turn of events, noting that he had initially prepared to post bail earlier in the day when no warrant had yet been served.

“I was ready to post my bail earlier, but there was no warrant yet, so I am surprised they have a warrant tonight,” he told reporters. He also pointed out that while he had understood the case to be bailable, the warrant indicated otherwise.

Despite this, he stated he was willing to go through the proper legal procedures. Meanwhile, his legal counsel, Atty. Mark Tolentino, released a statement saying they are on their way to the NBI office in Pasay City to monitor the situation and ensure that Sonza’s rights are protected—especially as he is a senior citizen. “We will not tolerate any violations. We will monitor every step. We will take action if necessary,” Tolentino assured, adding that updates would be provided as the situation unfolds.

Tags: jay sonza

Post navigation

Previous House posts improved ratings; 7 in 10 Filipinos satisfied with their representatives — survey
Next Speaker Dy salutes Pinoy workers as nation’s ‘true lifeblood,’ vows stronger protections

Related Stories

NBI nabs 14 foreign nationals in 3 ops vs online scams, illegal gaming
  • Metro

NBI nabs 14 foreign nationals in 3 ops vs online scams, illegal gaming

PNP Chief: 44 shells traced to 4 guns; no fire originated outside Senate
  • Metro

PNP Chief: 44 shells traced to 4 guns; no fire originated outside Senate

Court grants NBI access to Mabanta’s gadgets in alleged extortion case
  • Metro

Court grants NBI access to Mabanta’s gadgets in alleged extortion case

ODDNEWS

  • Man arrested for faking lotto ticket to claim ₱172M jackpot
  • General in Hot Water: Napolcom cites P70k shoes as grounds for charges
  • Christmas Tragedy: Italian man chokes to death on panettone during family reunion
  • Japanese Woman Weds AI: The future of relationships?
  • A Single Dad’s Desperate Act: Police Chief’s Kindness Saves the Day
  • Security guard returns lost P1.5M bracelet

Source: USD/PHP @ Thu, 21 May.

Weather

Manila
Current weather
-º
Sunrise-
Sunset-
-
-
Forecast
Rain chance-
-
-
Forecast
Rain chance-
-
-
Forecast
Rain chance-
Manila weather

Latest Comments

  1. 스포츠중계 on Wage hikes effective in Northern Mindanao, Caraga this Labor Day
  2. 실시간스포츠중계 on Wage hikes effective in Northern Mindanao, Caraga this Labor Day

  • Front Page
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Donation
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
©2026 MetroSunDaily. All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.