Skip to content
Metro Sun Daily

Metro Sun Daily

REAL NEWS * REAL TIME

  • Home
  • Nation
  • Metro
  • Regions
  • Global
  • Feature
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • Sports
  • OFW
  • VP Sara Impeachment
  • Nation

BOC mulls to donate seized smuggled onions to Kadiwa stores

admin December 29, 2022

THE Bureau of Customs (BOC) is mulling to donate the remaining shipments of seized agricultural products, including onions, to Kadiwa stores.

Commissioner Yogi Filemon Ruiz, at the Kapihan sa Manila Bay Wednesday, said more than 500 container vans of smuggled agricultural items are still at ports where they were confiscated.

“I have been part already of a series of meetings regarding that. The BOC is very much open to sell…not only sell. Let’s remove the word sell, the BOC is open to donating it to the Kadiwa stores,” Ruiz said.

The Marcos administration has launched the Kadiwa program to enable the public to buy agricultural products at lower prices amid the rising prices of basic goods.

The Kadiwa stores of “Kadiwa ng Pasko” program allow farmers, fishermen and microentrepreneurs to sell their products directly to the public.

Ruiz said donating the seized products would help the “Kadiwa ng Pasko” program of the president, adding that it is better to utilize the seized agricultural products instead of destroying them.

However, these items should undergo a thorough inspection to determine if they are safe for human consumption.
“We leave it to their discretion if they can attest that these products are fit for human consumption, then much better. We are very much open to that,” Ruiz said.

There were 600 questionable shipments that BOC seized during the past months, and 41 of these had been turned over to the Department of Social Welfare and Development.

He said the agency is trying to expedite the processes of disposing of through donation of the seized shipments.

“It’s already being processed. We asked for your understanding as there are certain processes that we have to follow. But if you take a look at what we are doing right now at the BOC, it’s being expedited,” he said, noting that there are items that need to be disposed of immediately since they are perishable.

Meanwhile, Ruiz said BOC surpassed its annual revenue target of PHP721.52 billion when it collected a total of P851 billion in revenues from January to December 27.


Tags: BOC onions smuggled onions

Post navigation

Previous P11.274M worth of shabu turned over to PDEA
Next Gov’t may impose COVID-19 testing requirements for China travelers

Related Stories

Criminal charges recommended vs Aplasca, OSAA men over Senate gunfire
  • Nation

Criminal charges recommended vs Aplasca, OSAA men over Senate gunfire

KALINGA Act up for discussion in House amid oil price shocks
  • Nation

KALINGA Act up for discussion in House amid oil price shocks

House rolls out ‘rescue-buy’ drive to help struggling farmers
  • Nation

House rolls out ‘rescue-buy’ drive to help struggling farmers

ODDNEWS

  • Man arrested for faking lotto ticket to claim ₱172M jackpot
  • General in Hot Water: Napolcom cites P70k shoes as grounds for charges
  • Christmas Tragedy: Italian man chokes to death on panettone during family reunion
  • Japanese Woman Weds AI: The future of relationships?
  • A Single Dad’s Desperate Act: Police Chief’s Kindness Saves the Day
  • Security guard returns lost P1.5M bracelet

Source: USD/PHP @ Wed, 20 May.

Weather

Manila
Current weather
-º
Sunrise-
Sunset-
-
-
Forecast
Rain chance-
-
-
Forecast
Rain chance-
-
-
Forecast
Rain chance-
Manila weather

Latest Comments

  1. 스포츠중계 on Wage hikes effective in Northern Mindanao, Caraga this Labor Day
  2. 실시간스포츠중계 on Wage hikes effective in Northern Mindanao, Caraga this Labor Day

  • Front Page
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Donation
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
©2026 MetroSunDaily. All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.