Skip to content
Metro Sun Daily

Metro Sun Daily

REAL NEWS * REAL TIME

  • Home
  • Nation
  • Metro
  • Regions
  • Global
  • Feature
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • Sports
  • OFW
  • VP Sara Impeachment
  • Nation

Salceda: The danger has not passed; requests continued support for LGUs with Mayon evacuees

admin June 20, 2023

HOUSE Ways and Means Chair Joey Sarte Salceda (Albay, 2nd district), in a statement today, requested the continued support of the national government amid continued volcanic activity by Mayon, whose lava flow has reached “maximum length” of up to 2.5 kilometers.

“The rumblings continue and the danger remains. We respectfully request the continued support of the national government for local governments with evacuees. The primary responsibility for evacuees lies with LGUs, but we really need national government support to keep people safe,” Salceda said.

“LGUs who have evacuated their people have made the decision that early evacuation is necessary to protect the lives of their people. But they need help. That is why we have repeatedly expressed our gratitude to the national government for its steadfast support of evacuation efforts. The crucial ingredient to zero-casualty is sufficient resources. And so far, the national government has been extremely supportive.”

“Zero-casualty can be a very expensive objective – but it is embedded in our constitution, our culture, and our values that there is nothing more expensive than the loss of human life,” Salceda said.

Salceda adds that “due to the protracted nature of Mayon evacuations, we will need not only food and economic assistance, but also health, safety, educational, and psychosocial support.”

“We definitely need provisions for more social workers, more health workers, and facilities to allow continued learning in evacuation centers. Evacuation should be minimally disruptive of the economic and social life of evacuees,” Salceda added.

Tags: eruption mayon salceda

Post navigation

Previous There’s progress in PH-China fishing talks — Marcos
Next P50M ‘smuggled’ agri, meat products seized in Manila

Related Stories

House rolls out ‘rescue-buy’ drive to help struggling farmers
  • Nation

House rolls out ‘rescue-buy’ drive to help struggling farmers

Akbayan’s Cendaña: SC rejection is go-signal for manhunt vs Dela Rosa
  • Nation

Akbayan’s Cendaña: SC rejection is go-signal for manhunt vs Dela Rosa

DOJ identifies culprit in Senate shooting, withholds name
  • Nation

DOJ identifies culprit in Senate shooting, withholds name

ODDNEWS

  • Man arrested for faking lotto ticket to claim ₱172M jackpot
  • General in Hot Water: Napolcom cites P70k shoes as grounds for charges
  • Christmas Tragedy: Italian man chokes to death on panettone during family reunion
  • Japanese Woman Weds AI: The future of relationships?
  • A Single Dad’s Desperate Act: Police Chief’s Kindness Saves the Day
  • Security guard returns lost P1.5M bracelet

Source: USD/PHP @ Wed, 20 May.

Weather

Manila
Current weather
-º
Sunrise-
Sunset-
-
-
Forecast
Rain chance-
-
-
Forecast
Rain chance-
-
-
Forecast
Rain chance-
Manila weather

Latest Comments

  1. 스포츠중계 on Wage hikes effective in Northern Mindanao, Caraga this Labor Day
  2. 실시간스포츠중계 on Wage hikes effective in Northern Mindanao, Caraga this Labor Day

  • Front Page
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Donation
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
©2026 MetroSunDaily. All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.