Skip to content
Metro Sun Daily

Metro Sun Daily

REAL NEWS * REAL TIME

  • Home
  • Nation
  • Metro
  • Regions
  • Global
  • Feature
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • Sports
  • OFW
  • VP Sara Impeachment
  • Nation

DOJ starts clarificatory hearing on suspected ‘doomsday cult’ SBSI leader

admin October 9, 2023

THE Department of Justice has started the process of bringing to justice the individuals responsible for the alleged abuses committed against children and followers of suspected “doomsday cult” Socorro Bayanihan Services Inc. in Surigao del Norte.

This development comes in the wake of a statement by Justice Assistant Secretary and spokesperson Atty. Mico Clavano, confirming that a panel of prosecutors has conducted a clarificatory hearing as an initial step toward a comprehensive preliminary investigation.

“It is important to clarify that this is not yet a preliminary investigation, it remains a clarificatory hearing,” clarified Clavano.

He further explained, “Scheduling for the preliminary investigation is not yet underway. The procedural requirement here necessitates the clarification of certain issues and the establishment of accurate facts to ensure a thorough preliminary investigation. At this juncture, the panel of prosecutors will also solicit additional documents or suggestions to enhance the quality of the final resolution.”

Records showed that the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) – Caraga Regional Office in Butuan City has recommended charging cult officers and members with qualified trafficking under Republic Act No. 9208 (Anti-Trafficking in Persons Act of 2003), violation of RA 7610 (Anti-Child Abuse Law), kidnapping, and serious illegal detention.

This recommendation was forwarded to the Surigao del Norte Prosecutor’s Office in June.

Among the named respondents are Jey Rence Quilaro, also known as “Senior Agila,” Mamerto Galanida, and 11 other alleged cult officers and members.

But Clavano previously revealed that the preliminary investigation encountered obstacles due to multiple motions for the inhibition of prosecutors.

The allegations against SBSI, brought to light by Senator Risa Hontiveros, are deeply concerning and involve accusations of abuse and coercion of over 1,000 children since February 2019.

Post navigation

Previous NAIA Molotov parking lot blast solved following suspect’s arrest
Next Subic Bay Freeport Zone allegedly used as entry point of illegal drugs in PH

Related Stories

NBI says helping Bato evade arrest may lead to criminal charges
  • Nation

NBI says helping Bato evade arrest may lead to criminal charges

NBI says dragnet tightens around Bato, warns law ‘will catch up’
  • Nation

NBI says dragnet tightens around Bato, warns law ‘will catch up’

Marcoleta faces recommended plunder, bribery charges over ₱75M donations
  • Nation

Marcoleta faces recommended plunder, bribery charges over ₱75M donations

ODDNEWS

  • Man arrested for faking lotto ticket to claim ₱172M jackpot
  • General in Hot Water: Napolcom cites P70k shoes as grounds for charges
  • Christmas Tragedy: Italian man chokes to death on panettone during family reunion
  • Japanese Woman Weds AI: The future of relationships?
  • A Single Dad’s Desperate Act: Police Chief’s Kindness Saves the Day
  • Security guard returns lost P1.5M bracelet

Source: USD/PHP @ Sat, 23 May.

Weather

Manila
Current weather
-º
Sunrise-
Sunset-
-
-
Forecast
Rain chance-
-
-
Forecast
Rain chance-
-
-
Forecast
Rain chance-
Manila weather

Latest Comments

  1. 스포츠중계 on Wage hikes effective in Northern Mindanao, Caraga this Labor Day
  2. 실시간스포츠중계 on Wage hikes effective in Northern Mindanao, Caraga this Labor Day

  • Front Page
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Donation
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
©2026 MetroSunDaily. All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.