POLICE arrested a Philippine National Police (PNP) official who was previously charged for suspected involvement in a hit-and-run incident was rearrested on Sunday morning for allegedly firing a gun outside a restobar in Quezon City.
The suspect was identified as Police Lieutenant Colonel Mark Julio Abong, former chief of the Quezon City Police District Criminal Investigation and Detection Unit (QCPD-CIDU), who is now assigned to the PNP headquarters’ legal service department, according to a report by Luisito Santos on Super Radyo dzBB.
QCPD-CIDU said Abong was nabbed after allegedly assaulting a waiter and firing a gun twice outside a bar along Scout Rallos Street in Barangay Laging Handa, Quezon City.
The police official was reportedly drunk and had an argument with a fellow customer.
Tension also occurred at the QCPD-CIDU office in Camp Karingal after Abong tried to leave even though a clearance from the PNP was not given yet.
Abong will face multiple complaints such as alarm and scandal, violation of the Omnibus Election Code (gun ban), physical injuries, and slander. The gun ban or the prohibition on the bearing, carrying, or transporting of firearms and other deadly weapons was set from August 28 to November 29 due to the Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections.
The QCPD-CIDU said there is enough evidence against Abong.
“Meron dahil narekober natin yung ginamit na baril sa pagpaputok niya. At the same time meron tayong mga witness na makapagsasabi na siya nga ang nagpaputok,” an official said.
The QCPD-CIDU said no special treatment will be given to Abong.
