Col. Raymund Dante Lachica
THE prosecution does not need to call Col. Raymund Dante Lachica to the witness stand in the impeachment trial of Vice President Sara Z. Duterte for now because its existing witness lineup is already enough to establish her alleged misuse and irregular liquidation of confidential funds.⠀
Former Surigao del Norte Rep. Ace Barbers, House prosecution spokesperson and adviser, said prosecutors could still seek Lachica’s testimony later if an evidentiary gap develops during the presentation of Article I.⠀“E according sa ating prosecution team, ;yung aming mga ipinrisinta at inilista na mga witnesses ay sapat na so far, sapat na para mapatunayan yung allegations dito sa Article I na mayroong misuse, mayroong illegal, irregular, at saka improper use and liquidation of this confidential funds,” Barbers said.⠀
Lachica has figured prominently in the proceedings after former OVP special disbursing officer Gina Acosta testified before the Senate, sitting as an Impeachment Court, last Monday that she turned over P125 million confidential funds in December 2022 to Lachica, who was then the head of the Vice President’s security team.
The prosecution nevertheless has several witnesses already identified in the pre-trial process and has repeatedly said it will reassess its lineup as evidence accumulates.
⠀
Barbers said prosecutors remain free to seek permission to present additional witnesses if testimony later shows that one is necessary to strengthen the case.
⠀
“Pero kung sa gitna ng hearing, at nangangailangan pa ng karagdagang witnesses para mapagtibay yung allegations na yan, e hindi siguro magdadalawang-isip na mag-imbita pa, o humingi ng pagpayag mula sa Impeachment Court, kung sino pa yung mga aming idadagdag, kasi meron namang five-day rule, no? Tungkol diyan,” he said.
⠀
Asked directly whether prosecutors see a need to add Lachica to the lineup, Barbers said: “Wala pa. Lasi itong mailatag lamang itong mga nailista na, h naniniwala kami na medyo sufficient, at sapat na ‘yung gusto nating patunayan dito sa Article 1 na ito,” Barbers said.
⠀
At the same time, the prosecution does not intend to end its presentation just because Acosta’s testimony was already considered damaging to Duterte.
⠀
“Pero gaya nga nung nabanggit ko rin, nung ako’y natanong, mas mahalaga siguro at mas maganda siguro na kumpletuhin natin yung litrato, kumbaga sa isang puzzle,” Barbers said “Maraming piyesa ito, at dapat makumpleto natin yung piyesa nang sa ganon makita natin yung kabuuan.’
⠀
Barbers said additional witnesses had already been identified during the pre-trial conference and could still contribute to complete the prosecution’s account.
⠀
“Dito sa article na ito, meron pang mga ibang witnesses na inilista, no, during the pre-trial conference,” Barbers said. “Kaya mas magandang mapakinggan muna natin, at madinig ‘yung kanilang testimony, at maipakita pa ‘yung mga ebidensyang pwedeng ipakita ng prosecution.”
