DEPUTY Speaker Jay Khonghun of Zambales on Friday called for greater discipline and responsibility in public statements after Sen. Imee Marcos claimed that a constituent assembly was allegedly being prepared to extend the terms of incumbent lawmakers, prolong President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s term until 2031, cancel the 2028 elections, or raise the presidential age requirement to prevent Vice President Sara Duterte from running.
Khonghun said such allegations should not be accepted as fact without evidence, especially as the country enters a crucial stage in Duterte’s impeachment trial. The Senate convened as an impeachment court on May 18, the Office of the Vice President received the writ of summons on May 20, and the trial is expected to begin on July 6, according to Sen. Erwin Tulfo.
“Bawal ang chismis sa usaping pambansa. Kapag mabigat ang paratang, dapat may ebidensya, hindi puro pahaging para guluhin ang isip ng publiko,” Khonghun said.
He warned that the no-election narrative is dangerous because it exploits a fear long rejected by Filipinos: term extension.
Rather than helping the public better understand the impeachment case, Khonghun said the allegation diverts attention away from the evidence and toward a politically explosive but unsubstantiated narrative.
“Walang katotohanan ang no-election scare na iyan. Ginagamit lang ang takot ng tao sa term extension para sirain ang tiwala sa gobyerno at ilihis ang usapan mula sa ebidensya,” Khonghun said.
The Zambales lawmaker stressed that the real issue before the nation is not an alleged Charter change plot, but the Vice President’s obligation to answer the Articles of Impeachment before the Senate impeachment court. The case involves allegations of misuse of public funds, unexplained wealth, bribery, and threats against top government officials — accusations that Duterte has denied.
“This is a textbook deflection. Kapag hindi na kayang sagutin ang ebidensya, gagawa ng ibang kuwento para ang administrasyon naman ang pagdudahan,” Khonghun said.
Khonghun urged public officials to refrain from fueling suspicion unless they can present documents, credible witnesses, or verifiable proof. He said accusations with serious national implications should not be casually floated in interviews while institutions are carrying out their constitutional duties.
“Public officials must raise the level of public debate. Serious accusations require facts, records, and witnesses, not rumor packaged as political analysis,” Khonghun said.
He added that the House of Representatives had already fulfilled its constitutional role when it voted 257-25-9 to impeach Duterte and transmit the Articles of Impeachment to the Senate. At this stage, he said, public attention should remain focused on the impeachment court, the evidence, and the respondent’s formal answer.
Khonghun also warned that fake news and disinformation are increasingly being used to weaken accountability even before the trial begins.
“Fake news is the main saboteur of truth and justice. It poisons public judgment, confuses the facts, and protects those who should be answering before the proper forum,” Khonghun said.
He called on the public to reject narratives meant to create fear rather than promote understanding.
“Kung may ebidensya, ilabas. Kung wala, tigilan ang pananakot. Hindi dapat gawing panangga ang fake news laban sa pananagutan,” Khonghun said.
